Tuesday, February 28, 2012

I cannot stand Mad Men

I can't stress this enough on how much I just don't like Mad Men. I don't think I will ever come to reality on this being a great series. It's too fucking boring man, seriously. I have never fell asleep this much watching TV since CSPAN's occasional political banter. IT'S SO DAMN SLOW. Like I get what the point is of the first season: Don Draper is an unfaithful husband and the weight of it is starting to take its toll. But all the rest of the filler and the other plot points are just not as appeasing as the rest. I was shocked when he randomly fired Peter in episode four, but that quickly ended for no apparent reason instead of just booting his ass out and creating a better plot for that scenario.

I'd rather watch this sweet innocent old lady do this than Mad Men
It's just too much of a drama for me. Like other series, they blend their drama with thought provoking greatness. A little intensity could go a LONG way trust me, it works for all of my favorite series. There is a time to do serious work and a time to just let loose and have a bit of fun with your series. There was ZERO fun to be had from Mad Men. From the very first episode till about midway through episode five, I just threw in the towel and said fuck this shit. I can't do it anymore, I just can't. Five times? Honestly, I can't remember when the last time I had to sit through just the first season alone of a series just to get hooked on it, let alone five times.

Great actors, handsome faces, terrible series.
 It's the slow burn of it all, and I am just about at the ashes of my mental state to keep up with this series much longer. I can fully understand why it wins Emmy's and Golden Globes and all that jazz, just I can't understand what makes it an addiction that keeps the viewer fully interested on it. It's like my beef with The Sopranos; I know its a great series, but in the same vein I could only watch episodes sparingly. Like Breaking Bad is to The Wire (aka the true superior show of the network they air on), I just can't catch the buzz of the overall lead contender for the network. Don't hate me reader for not showing the same love as you all have for this series. I know great television, I watch great entertainment, just Mad Men truly isn't my cup of tea. I can't get into it and I don't think there is anything remotely interesting for me to just jump at it with the gusto of the average television viewer. Let me know when Betty Draper bangs Roger Sterling and we can finally talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment